In 1865 Dellwood Cemetery Association was incorporated, by Special Act of Legislature, and the land (some 13 acres) was conveyed to the association by the Hon. Mark Skinner of Chicago, and the Hon. Helmus M. Wells of New York, former residents of Manchester Village.
About Six Thousand Dollars were subscribed for the purpose of embellishing the grounds. Mr. Burton A. Thomas, a rural architect of high reputation, was employed to plan and lay out the avenues, walks, and burial lots; which plan is being executed by Messrs. A.G. Clark, E.B. Burton and F.H. Orvis, the Committee of Superintendence, to the satisfaction of the Association.
The avenues and walks have been graded, a substantial fence, a receiving vault, two beautiful lakes, and a large iron vase (presented by Judge Skinner) place in the center of one of the large circles, attract the attention of the visitor. Dellwood Cemetery, beautiful by nature and made attractive by art, it is hoped will continue to be cared for in all time to come.